Friday, June 3, 2011

Buddy night

Kung Fu Panda II is one of the worse movies I've seen. I saw it Friday night with my son Little B which made it one of the best movies I've seen.
It was man's night out and we made the most of it with dinner at Red Robin, a movie and a scoop of ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery. It was great hanging out with my guy because it doesn't happen enough.
Often on Friday I go to games for the newspaper or an appearance for radio. That means no buddy night for me and my buddy. Less than five minutes after my show B called to make sure I was coming home. There was hesitation in his voice. I could tell he'd prepared himself for the worse. His mood lightened when I told him I'd be home in 15 minutes.
"OK dad. I will see you soon," he said.
Buddy night was just a few minutes away.
I love having two jobs. It helps the bank account and it provides nicely for my family. The downside is when you are a sports writer you work weekends. In the fall I am usually at a college game on Saturday and a pro game on Sunday. Friday is filled with games year round and quite often I need to be there.
It is tough telling little man you won't be home until after 11. Sometimes after games I sneak into the house and try to close the door softly. Buddy hears the click and comes running down the stairs. We sit and talk about the day for a few moments or catch a late game and then he goes to bed.
People tell me to cherish these moments. Trust me, I am. He is nine years old and growing like a weed. The time is coming when he won't want to hang with me. He will have friends, girl friends and parties to go to.
That is why every movie we check out together will be the best in the world, no matter how bad it is.

4 comments:

  1. Your story gave me really a good feeling. Spend as much time with your boy as possible, because kids grow so fast. I had a tough job, and missed out on some of my kids events. I regret that today, and it is now gone forever.
    Cherish your buddy-time.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me tell you, my son is 13 and although he is a wonderful kid who still likes to hang out with mom every so often, he won't tell me he loves me or give me a hug or a kiss in public- I remember when I was the greatest person in his life- I know you have to do a lot for your job but, making that time for your kids will pay off better than any job or career will in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post. I am blessed enough to be a stay at home dad. My son is 8 years old and no matter where I go in the house, outside the house we are together. I miss him everyday when I have to drop him off at school. We went to see Kung Fu Panda II on saturday, I agree with everything you said about it. Enjoy your buddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am setting up more buddy days. He loves the Tigers and we are going to get tickets for upcoming games. School is out soon and it makes it much easier for us to hang at Comerica park

    ReplyDelete