Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I want to be a millionaire so frickn bad

Hello. My name is Terry Foster and I make between $1.3 million and $1.7 million a year.
I wish.
That’s not true but word is spreading that is how much I make. Two of my conversations about it were interesting to say the least. One guy was happy for me. He said I worked hard, was entertaining with Mike Valenti on the radio and that Mike and I deserved the money.
I explained to him that my salary is nowhere close to seven figures and he was disappointed. We’ve been the top rated afternoon radio show in Detroit for about three years now. Back in the golden days of radio we might be making seven figures. Heck, we might even be recognized in the Detroit media as a radio power.  
However, the economy in Detroit is in the tank and radio salaries have come way down. I still earn a nice living but I am no Donald Trump.
The second conversation was more unfortunate and it reflected something white people do not have to deal with. A black guy confronted me and said he’d heard about my massive salary. And he wanted to press me on why I am a sell out and do not provide for the black community.
I told him he does not know what I do for the community and that my salary isn’t what he thinks it is.
He called me a liar and said I did not want to share my responsibility. I told him I like how people know more about you than you know about yourself. There was no getting through to this guy.
The dude was really pissed.
All I could do was wish him a nice day and walk away. Sometimes you cannot reach people. They hear something and it becomes gospel.
I do have a dream if I hit the Lotto and become rich. I want to hire five young talented artists and let their creative juices go. I would open up a T-shirt and Detroit art business in the inner city and sell clothing and art work in the community that reflects our area.
I could hire people to create the T-shirts and others to distribute them. They would be the most colorful and funky T-shirts on the planet.
I’d be helping Detroit and the economy and some young people who need a break.
And maybe then I’d get that one guy off my back.


2 comments:

  1. I believe you and it is not because I am a Valenti and Foster Homer- it is because I know that when Drew Layne left WRIF a few years back, he was making 7 figures- D & M were the top rated radio show in Detrtoit for a very long time. I also know that when he came back, it was stated that his contract took a major pay-cut hit because of the economy and he was no longer making the money he once made. People forget that even the big 3 has put employees on a 2 -tier system. My dad always told us his income was not our business when we were kids- If you made a million a year, I would say that you and Mike both deserve it for the hard work and the bs that you both get. You are the # 1 rated show on the station yet, from what you have stated on the show, sounds like you are the "red-headed step children" also. Anyhow- you and Mike are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you help me? I need money (100$ or litl more) for ptivate detective, because maybe I have property, whereof I don't know anything. More details in my blog. Web money acount 367239331897 (WME)

    ReplyDelete