Monday, June 20, 2011

This cyber fighting must stop

                                                                        

My son and daughter Brandon and Celine got into a fight this morning and I put an immediate stop to it.
Celine was in her bedroom and Brandon was in the kitchen and they were fighting via Skype. I told them that is unacceptable that if they were going to fight they had to do it the old fashion way.
They had to punch each other and scream in each others' face until I rush to put an end to it.
This whole electronic age has jumped the shark. How in the world do you get into an argument with somebody in the same house and not say a word? That is what it came to when I caught Brandon feverishly typing something into my I-phone. Meanwhile Celine was telling him off upstairs.
Do you remember your first fight with your brother or sister? It probably began with fists and ended with somebody crying to momma. Momma would mediate and administer initial punishment and then daddy came home and finished it.
I can't even begin thinking how you punish kids who argue via Skype. There is no noise. Nobody cries and it is over before you even knew it began. This is silly stuff and part of the new age I do not understand.
But it happens all over the place. We text but do not talk. If you thought about the evolution of electronics you would think texting would come first followed by talking on the phone. But it is the other way around.
I've seen people text one another in a noisy restaurant rather than talk. Come on, there is nothing wrong with a little screaming.
Meanwhile my kids are upstairs talking and having a good time. If it gets quiet then I know they are skyping again and I must step in and stop the argument before somebody gets hurt.




No comments:

Post a Comment