Monday, June 6, 2011

Happy and Gay at the same time

I hung with five lesbians Sunday. They were drunk and sweaty and loving and just having a great time. We sat at the corner bar at Rosie O'Grady's in Ferndale. I was there watching the NBA Finals. They were celebrating Gay Pride Day, a journey that took them from downtown Detroit to a few bars around Ferndale.
"We Gay people love everybody," Heather said while kissing one of her friends all over the face.
I sat next to Sarah, someone I met a few years ago when she was married to a man. She wasn't happy the first time we met. The marriage thing did not work. She did not know she was Gay at the time. She simply knew she did not like living with this man.
They divorced.
Three years ago she went to a Kid Rock concert and met Heather. They hit it off quickly and enjoyed each other's company. It was not planned but they started dating. Now they are inseparable.
Heather is outgoing and funny and spontaneous. She has spiked hair and tattoos. Sarah is sort of quiet and introspective. She is pretty and the type woman a guy prowling the bar might make eye contact with. And she is happy, very happy.
"I just feel so wonderful around her," Sarah said. "She makes me so happy."
The irony of our meeting is my daughter Celine is reading a book about racial and sexual prejudice. That day she asked me about racism and wanted to know when people would love all blacks and whites and Mexicans and Gay people?
I told Celine I doubt that day would come any time soon. There are a number of people who do not like people who are different than them. They will always hate because that is what they do. The world is better for minorities and Gays. But we still have a long way to go.
What did Kobe Bryant Joakim Noah scream in the heat of the battle?
"Faggot."
Sarah and Heather know about intolerance. I asked Sarah how her family dealt with her lifestyle. She shrugged her shoulders.
"You know," she said.
I've made this promise. If my children grow up to be straight or Gay, I will love them. If they marry somebody Asian, Russian or Martian, I will love them. Parents should always be there for their children, both good and bad.
I hope Sarah's parents turn around and support her. I know she is happy now with Heather but if mom and dad come around, that 1000 watt smile I saw Sunday will grow even brighter.

2 comments:

  1. Joy and happiness are the meaning of life, if you can find it within yourself you are blessed and the world is a better place because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. These ladies were happy. I was happy for them. Who am I to judge>?

    ReplyDelete