Friday, June 17, 2011

Oh no he didn't

I avoid confrontation. I do not like to fight. I do not like to argue.
However, sometimes you are forced to defend yourself because some people believe they can walk up to you and say whatever they want. I was in Royal Oak one night with friends enjoying food and drink at that Mexican restaurant with the red peppers on it. I can never remember the name.
Everything seemed to be going great. Then out of the blue my evening changed.
Some guy walked up to me with his woman and said: "You are a chicken shit writer and a coward."
He walked away. The first thing that went through my mind is that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words shall never hurt me."
But I could not let this guy get away with it. He walked up to me and insulted me in front of his woman. He probably figured I would not confront him but I was in a spicy mood. So I followed him to the entrance of the restaurant and tapped him on the shoulder.
"I don't know who you are," I said. "But you are the coward. Who are you to walk up to me like that and then walk away?"
He looked at me as if he were crazy. I could tell the young lad was scared. So I turned to his woman.
"Is this your boyfriend," I asked.
She nodded her head no. They were on a first or second date.
"My advice to you is to get rid of this loser. He shows no respect and he is a coward. He walks up to me and insults me and then when I confront him he becomes all respectful and quiet. Ditch this dude."
He never said another word and left.
I always wonder what happened to that couple. Did she take my advice and deep six this guy? Or did they become a couple? I do not think she hung with him for long.
I understand you are not going to like everything I write and everything I say. You are not going to like some of my show topics on the Valenti and Foster Show. We can debate. But let's do it in a respectful way.
What I do is not that serious. It is sports. It is talk. It is shooting the breeze. Sometimes you want to vent. I understand that.
I get phone calls on my Detroit News voice mail calling me all kinds of derogatory and racist names. I've had guys call disagreeing with a sports topic call and say they want to rape my wife and daughter.
Really?
They often do not leave phone numbers. But I've had people call me the N word and a coward and they leave their number. I often call them back and they become the nicest people in the world.
They just had a bad moment, they said.
Really?

5 comments:

  1. TFos...There are just some DUMBASS people in the world. They just don't think about what damage their words can really do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blows me away, you're one of the good guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I know the type of people you are referring too. People are really tough until you confront their toughest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That might have been the new Mexican sports bar Cantina Diablos? Haters will always be out there, at least you told him off. I would snap back at a few of these fools once in a while too if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Terry. It always amazes me how quick someone gets quiet as a church mouse when their bluff gets called.

    I have never understood why some people get so upset with you and Mike on your show. I guess it's just plain old stupidity.

    ReplyDelete